As is my annual tradition, I made a list of the top 100 songs to represent my past year. This doesn’t necessarily mean the music was released last year. While many songs here are new releases, the only criteria is that I was listening to them in 2022. Some are new discoveries, some are rediscoveries, and some are old favorites. Either way, these are the songs that made up my year.
“My top 10 albums list” is back for the first time in a while! I haven’t done one for the past few years. In particular, I skipped last year as I didn’t connect as well to as many “albums” (though it was still a great musical year). This year was more album-focused. In fact, I had a lot more than ten to call out!
First, here is my 100 best songs list for 2022. Enjoy!
Best of 2022 Music List on Spotify
With 100 songs being the limit, cuts had to be made. So, here’s my runner-up list of great songs that didn’t quite make it to the top 100 list:
Rest of 2022 Music List on Spotify
Unlike the song list above, I do bound my top album list to those released in the “last year”. This ideally means anything released in 2022, but I also allow albums released in 2021 that I didn’t get around to last year. Here are my top 10 albums for 2021/2022:
- IDLES – CRAWLER
- Shamir – Heterosexuality
- FKA twigs – CAPRISONGS
- Yola – Stand for Myself
- The Smile – A Light for Attracting Attention
- Sharon Van Etten – We’ve Been Going About This All Wrong
- Death Cab for Cutie – Asphalt Meadows
- Wet Leg
- Billie Eilish – Happier than Ever
- Spoon – Lucifer on the Sofa
A shout-out to the other great recently released albums I enjoyed last year (listed alphabetically by artist).
- Andrew Bird – Inside Problems
- Broken Bells – INTO THE BLUE
- Coldplay – Music of the Spheres
- Czarface / MFDoom – Super What?
- Greentea Peng – MAN MADE
- Jack White – Fear of the Dawn
- King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard – Omnium Gatherum
- The Linda Lindas – Growing Up
- PinkPanthress – to hell with it
- SASAMI – Squeeze
- shame – Drunk Tank Pink
A shout-out to the other great albums I enjoyed last year that came out before 2021 (listed alphabetically by artist).